You spoke, now here are the results. The goal of the Manitowoc County Perception Survey was to not only gauge the perception of our community, but use the results to promote the positive in our community and make a great place to live and work and even better. The survey was conducted online and was distributed to members of The Chamber, Progress Lakeshore, area nonprofit organizations, and area employers were asked to send to their employees. Click here to view the results…
There are so many more than 101 things to do in Manitowoc County, but look at this list and then think of how many times you’ve said to yourself, “I’ve always wanted to try that.” Go ahead and work your way down the list. Then Join the Movement by sharing your favorite things to do in Manitowoc County on our Facebook page.
Arts, Culture, Education & History
- Take a step back in time and visit one of our many fine museums including Rahr- West Art Museum, Mishicot Historical Museum, Wisconsin Maritime Museum.
- Take the kids to Pinecrest Historical village and read the “Little house on the Prairie” books.
- See where Sputnik crashed on North 8th Street in Manitowoc.
- Visit a Lighthouse – there are three to choose from in Manitowoc County.
- Visit one of our libraries to check out a book and don’t forget to take in the view (Manitowoc-Calumet Library System)!
- Take an art class at the Rahr-West Art Museum – classes for kids and adults.
- Take a class at Lakeshore Technical College, UW-Manitowoc, or Silver Lake College.
- Check out an event at Silver Lake College – Sports, Music, Theater, Education, more…
- Visit an art gallery or studio such as Martin Pottery, Riveredge Galleries, or Abler Art Glass Gallery and be amazed.
- Build a birdhouse as a project at Andercraft Woods.
- Take the kids to a performance of Peter Quince Performing Company. Shows are acted and directed by kids.
- See a Masquers‘ performance.
- Take in a performance at the Capitol Civic Centre and revel in the setting.
- Visit the historic Lax Chapel in rural Kiel.
- Everyone loves cheese, but do you know how it’s made? Check out the observation window at Pine River Dairy.
- Visit an Alpaca farm. There are several in our area. It is best to call ahead.
- Check out the architecture in downtown Manitowoc and Two Rivers (Start with this list from the National Register of Historic Places).
- Have an electrifying time at NextEra Energy Resources Point Beach Energy Education Center hands-on museum, showing the future of power.
- Tour the Frank Lloyd Wright house, originally called Still Bend for its location on the East Twin River.
- Enjoy a performance of the Manitowoc Symphony Orchestra.
- See how wood type print blocks are made and used in printing at the Hamilton Wood Type Museum.
- See artifacts from shipwrecks off the coast of Manitowoc like the Vernon and Rouse Simmons (Waters off Manitowoc County being considered for National Marine Sanctuary status).
- Research your genealogy at the Manitowoc County Historical Society.
- Listen to the sounds of the Lakeshore Wind Ensemble.
- Make dinner and a show all in one at The Palace of Reifs Mills Dinner Event Theatre.
- Shop at one of the two oldest department stores in the county, Schroeder’s Department Store in Two Rivers and Evans Variety Store in Kiel.
- Buy a kite at Unique Flying Objects and fly it along the Lake Michigan beach or at a local park.
- Shop for antiques in Manitowoc County antique shops.
- Shop at a small business and experience our unique boutiques.
- Shop at the Farmers Market for locally-grown, farm-fresh produce.
Eating & Drinking
- Enjoy a traditional Wisconsin fish fry on Friday night.
- Savor a cool treat in the birthplace of the ice cream sundae at the Washington House in Two Rivers.
- How do you like your hot wings? We have several great places in Manitowoc County – Legend Larry’s are award winning.
- Have dinner at a traditional supper club.
- Drink a Bloody Mary. There are several great places in Manitowoc to get one, or drink like the locals and make it a Clam Digger.
- Thirsty? Seek out a great Old Fashioned made the Wisconsin way.
- Stop at a local deli and get the makings for a picnic lunch.
- Hankering for pastry? Visit one of our many local bakeries and let the melting in the mouth begin.
- Discover the best pizza in Manitowoc County.
- Relax with a cup of coffee at a local coffee shop.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth by stopping at Beernsten’s Confectionary.
- Get our squeak on! Eat cheese curds: fresh or fried or both.
Festivals, Music & Special Events
- Rock and roll at Metro Jam and other music festivities.
- Meet some people and enjoy outdoor community concerts throughout the county in Mishicot, Washington Park in Manitowoc, Two Rivers Central Park and others.
- Attend Tom Drill’s Showtime on the Manitowoc Riverfront.
- View a movie in the park on summer evenings in Mishicot and Two Rivers.
- Get out the red, white, and blue and watch the Fourth of July Fireworks off the shore of the beautiful Lake Michigan and throughout the county.
- Attend the Garden Fair at West of the Lake Gardens.
- Attend the Manitowoc County Fair and numerous other events held year round at the Manitowoc Expo grounds.
- View one of the many parades throughout the county.
- Participate with folks from far away in the HFM Maritime Marathon or the YMCA Triathlon, or any number of 5k or 10ks benefiting the community.
- Attend a local festival: Ethnic Fest, Sputnikfest, Applefest, Lobster Fest, Owl Fest, Manitowoc Riverfest and Mishicot Riverfest, Mishicot Pumpkinfest, Winterfest, and more.
- Attend Christmas at Sinawa and Fall Family Day at Camp Sinawa in Valders.
Just for Fun
- Take a selfie with Bernice the Cow located at Cedar Crest Ice Cream Parlor on South 8th Street in Manitowoc.
- Get your skates on at the Rollaire Skate Center.
- Swim and relax on the Lazy River at the Manitowoc Aquatic Center.
- Whether it’s bowling or mini-bowling that you’re after, there is an alley for that in Manitowoc County.
- See a movie.
- Visit the Manitowoc Area Visitor & Convention Bureau to help make your trip plans and for a current calendar of community events.
- Have a blast at the Lakeshore Family Weekend.
- When in Manitowoc County… play (or learn to play) sheepshead, the Wisconsin card game.
- Ice skate at the Manitowoc County Ice Center.
- Hold a sleepover on the USS Cobia.
- Pamper yourself or someone you love with a trip to one of Manitowoc Counties many massage facilities.
- Is the lake too cold, head on over to the Manitowoc Family Aquatic Center for a swim.
- Exercise at one of our fitness centers, conveniently located throughout the county.
- Take me out to the Ball Game – semi-pro baseball: Manitowoc Bandits & Two Rivers Polar Bears.
- Let someone else do the driving – auto racing at 141 Speedway.
- Think you’ve got talent in the kitchen? Complete in a chili cook-off in Two Rivers or at Silver Lake College.
- Join the club! Manitowoc Running, cycling, gardening or chess to name just a few.
- Make a difference in the community and have some fun at the same time – participate in a charitable special event like Big Brothers Big Sisters Bowl for Kid’s Sake, Heart-A-Rama, or the Domestic Violence Center Taste of Manitowoc.
- Take a dog for a walk. No dog? No problem! Volunteer at the Lakeshore Humane Society.
- Volunteer for one of the MANY non-profit organizations in Manitowoc County.
- Join a civic or service group like Service League of Manitowoc County, Manitowoc Noon Rotary or Manitowoc Sunrise Rotargy clubs, Manitowoc Jaycees, Manitowoc Lions Club, etc.
- Attend the Manitowoc Police Department Citizens’ Academy or Two Rivers Police Department Citizens’ Academy.
- Participate in Leadership Manitowoc County.
- Hire a fishing charter to catch salmon and trout.
- Try your hand at disc golf at any one of more than a handful of parks (golf disc courses list, here’s another list).
- Play mini-golf at one of several courses in Manitowoc County (Mini Golf Course adjacent to Manitowoc Acquatic Center)
- Charter a dive trip and dive on Lake Michigan shipwrecks.
- Get some sun on one of 13 Lake Michigan beaches in Manitowoc County – from natural to groomed, there is a beach for everyone.
- Take a sailing class. If you know how to sail, rent a sailboat and go.
- Tee it up on one of more than ten golf courses in Manitowoc County. From beginners to experts, we have the perfect courses.
- Pitch a tent and camp for a night (or for a week) at several Manitowoc County campgrounds – unmatched in natural beauty.
- Bird watch at Woodland Dunes Nature Center or Collins Marsh.
- Take a ride on the SS Badger: try the annual coastline cruise or a ride to Michigan and back.
- Take photos and capture the natural beauty of Manitowoc County (check out these beautiful images).
- Watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan and let yourself be captivated.
- Stroll the West of the Lake Gardens.
- Hike the Ice Age Trail.
- Sit on the beach chairs at Blue Rail Beach and Dog Park.
- Leave a trail – cross country ski or snowshoe one of the nature trails at Woodland Dunes Nature Center & Preserve.
- Visit a city, state or county park. Here’s one list.
- Go spelunking in the Maribel Cherney Caves.
- Trail ride on horseback.
- Build a sand castle at Red Arrow Beach.
- Rent a canoe or kayak, and paddle the East or West Twin Rivers.
- Bike the paved Mariner’s Trail, the crushed limestone Rawley Point Trail or go off-road at Camp Vits.
- Walk through a covered bridge in Mishicot.
- Lions and tigers and bears Oh my! A visit to the Lincoln Part Zoo provides you with many things to do.
- Check out the Osprey nest at Collins Marsh, and rent a canoe to explore the marsh and Mother Nature.
Stronger Together Manitowoc County Meetings!
All our volunteers are busy people, so we make sure that each meeting is productive, BUT we also have a lot of fun. Here’s a list of future meeting times dates and locations. Join us next time and see what it means to be Stronger Together Now!
The next meeting is Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 3:00-4:30 PM at the Manitowoc Public Library.